Report reveals horrific details in abduction

Posted at 8:29 PM, Apr 21, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-22 09:54:46-04

The family of Brandi Shakir, the woman abducted by her ex-boyfriend, spoke out Thursday evening to thank the public and police for bringing her home safe. 

The 23-year-old returned home from the hospital in Erie, Pennsylvania on Wednesday and is now recovering with her family. 

"We are so grateful for everything that you did," said her aunt Kim Barnett. "For the local media, for social media, for passing her pictures along, and for searching for her and spreading the word. We are just so grateful that she is back home safely."

According to police, Shakir went missing on Monday and was found "alive and healthy" in Erie on Tuesday.

But, the family told Reporter Homa Bash that Shakir still has a long way to go. 

"She's doing much better, but we need to continue to pray for her," said her mother, Monica Shakir.

Kyle Johnson, the man accused of abducting Shakir, faces a long list of charges, including aggravated assault and making terroristic threats. He's being held on a $500,000 bond in Erie. 

An Erie police report details the horrific ordeal Brandi suffered. The report states that Johnson abducted Brandi from her mother's Oakwood home, tied her hands and feet with duct tape and hid her in the trunk of his car. A neighbor called 911 after noticing the home was on fire and saw Johnson speeding from the area.

Police said Johnson then broke into a random home in Erie and attacked the woman living there with a crowbar and box cutter while he hid Shakir in the basement. Police said he also attacked the male homeowner.

Neighbors heard the screams and ran over. Johnson was shot twice. The Erie County district attorney decided Thursday not to file charges against that neighbor.

The 58-year-old woman attacked is clinging to life at the hospital. If she does not survive, Johnson could face a felony murder charge

Brandi's father, Wali Shakir, said a nurse at the Erie hospital where his daughter was being treated knew the couple, so he asked her to give them a message.

"Our gratitude," Wali Shakir said. "As far as him doing what he had to do to save his wife and to save our daughter."

A GoFundMe has been started by a relative of Brandi's to help the family with medical expenses.