AMHERST, Ohio — A fire caused extensive damage to Hot Dog Heaven in Amherst early Tuesday morning, but the restaurant's owner confirmed in a Facebook post that they plan to rebuild.
Firefighters responded at around midnight to Hot Dog Heaven, located at 493 Cleveland Avenue in Amherst.
Fire damaged the Hot Dog Heaven in Amherst overnight. No word yet on a cause. pic.twitter.com/CbuvoSZJfA— Mike Vielhaber (@MVielhaber) September 1, 2020
Firefighters were seen fighting the fire in multiple locations as smoke and fire poured out from the building. The fire started in the grill and deep fryer area where the hood vents outside on the ground floor and went through the attic of the building, according to the Amherst Fire Department.
Fire Chief Jim Wilhelm said it's possible something was being cooked at around 10 p.m., then a spark laid there, lit up, and spread into the second floor and attic.
The fire was brought under control at around 2 a.m. with help from surrounding departments, including Vermilion, Sheffield, Elyria Township and Oberlin.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
Damage from the fire is estimated at $400,000 total — $200,000 in damage to the building and another $200,000 in damage to its contents. Wilhelm said a structural engineer will determine the exact extent of the damage.
On Tuesday afternoon, Chris Russo with Hot Dog Heaven posted to Facebook to thank the community for its support and to confirm plans to rebuild.
According to the sign on the building, the restaurant has been in business since 1976.
Download the News 5 Cleveland app now for more stories from us, plus alerts on major news, the latest weather forecast, traffic information and much more. Download now on your Apple device here, and your Android device here.