NewsLocal NewsCuyahoga County


3 teenage boys arrested after carjacking Uber in Parma, leading police on pursuit

3 teenage girls in car, not involved in carjacking
Parma uber carjacking
Posted at 5:09 PM, Feb 08, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-11 09:37:58-05

PARMA, Ohio — The Parma Police Department is investigating a carjacking and subsequent police pursuit in Parma involving three teenage boys that occurred early Sunday morning.

Around 1:12 a.m., police were called to the area of Chevrolet Boulevard and Snow Road for a report of an aggravated robbery.

Once on scene, officers talked to a 50-year-old man who was working as an Uber driver and had picked up three males from a hotel in Independence and taken them to the 6000 block of Stumph Road.

As the Uber driver pulled up to the destination, one of the males pulled out a gun, pointed it at the driver’s head, and ordered him out of the vehicle. When the driver compiled, the males took off in his car.

Dispatch then informed surrounding cities and a short time later, Parma Heights police officers located the stolen vehicle on Pearl Road near Twin Lakes Drive, police said.

The stolen vehicle fled from officers, traveling north on Pearl Road towards Ridge Road at a high rate of speed. The driver of the stolen vehicle tried to turn eastbound onto the Interstate 480 ramp but caused damage to the vehicle and it became disabled, according to police.

Two males then fled from the car as officers approached, while a male and three females exited the car and remained on the scene, police said.

Police found a loaded handgun under the driver’s seat of the vehicle.

According to police, two of the males were 16 years old and one was 17 years old.

The three females in the car at the time of the pursuit were two 14-year-old girls and a 15-year-old girl, police said.

Police said the three teenage girls were not involved in the robbery and were released to their parents.

Officers located the two teenage boys who fled the scene and all three boys were arrested and transported to the Cuyahoga County Juvenile Detention Center, according to police.

The incident remains under investigation.