The day after a Euclid family escaped their burning home, the Euclid Fire Department (EFD) is reminding residents to have an evacuation plan.
Just after 11:00 p.m. on Friday, firefighters arrived at 21830 Maydale for the report of a dryer fire in the basement of the one-story residential structure.
Upon arrival of the first fire apparatus three minutes later, the family of nine were evacuating the residence while smoke billowed from the front door.
Firefighters went down into the basement through high heat and heavy smoke and made an aggressive attack on the fire.
The flames were already in the first-floor bedroom, but were quickly contained. Damage is estimated at $35,000 and the fire is currently under investigation.
No firefighter injuries were reported and the family escaped unharmed.
In addition to having an evacuation plan, the EFD "would like to remind everyone that having an evacuation plan can be life-saving."
More reminders from EFD:
- keep combustible material away from heat sources
- clean your dryer’s lint trap after each use
- ensure your smoke detectors are working