PD: Student seriously injured in school fight

Posted at 10:04 AM, Apr 14, 2016

A Westlake High School student is in 'very serious' condition after a fight at the school Tuesday. 

Police said the fight between two 17-year-old and 18-year-old students broke out in the men's bathroom just before 1 p.m.

Police said the 17-year-old appeared lethargic when he was found.

He was seen by the school nurse and then transported to Fairview Hospital for treatment.

He was later taken to MetroHealth Medical Center by medical helicopter.

The 18-year-old, identified as DeAndrew Smith, of Westlake, turned himself in on Wednesday. He was charged with felonious assault, according to police. 

His bond was set at $5,000 and a no-contact order was issued. He posted bond Wednesday and was released. His next hearing is April 19 in the Rocky River Municipal Court.

Timothy A. Spurrier, attorney for Smith, released this statement after 3 p.m. on Thursday:

Statement on behalf of Deandrew Smith

We are presently cooperating with the ongoing investigation into an incident which took place Tuesday afternoon at Westlake High School. The facts and circumstances which led to and ultimately culminated with this incident are still coming to light. Any further comment at this time would only serve to jeopardize an investigation which is still in the early stages.

We are confident that once these facts are more fully developed, Deandrew will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Westlake City School District posted the following statement on Facebook Thursday:


Another statement from Westlake Schools was released at 1:15 p.m. on Thursday, detailing the events that occurred after the altercation happened. It read:

On Tuesday, two students were involved in an altercation that resulted in one student being sent to the hospital with serious injuries. In the days following that incident, several rumors began to surface regarding a threat against the school. Those rumors were thoroughly investigated by our high school administrators, School Resource Officers and Westlake Police Officers and it was determined there was no credible or specific threat to our schools or students.

Following the altercation, our high school administrators were deliberately misled by students who witnessed the incident. The high school administration did not learn the extent and seriousness of the incident until later in the day. Based on the information the school had at the time, the school nurse recommended the student undergo a medical evaluation. A family member picked the student up from the high school and transported him to a local hospital.

Earlier today, a bullet was found in the high school parking lot. Westlake Police investigated the incident and determined it was unrelated to Tuesday’s incident. That finding led to additional rumors this morning regarding similar threats against the school. Again, school administrators, School Resource Officers and Westlake Police Officers thoroughly investigated these rumors and again found them to be not credible.

Disciplinary actions will be taken against any students involved in this incident. The Westlake City School District takes this matter seriously.

There is an increased police presence on campus, and there will continue to be a police presence on Friday. The school district will continue to work closely with the Westlake Police Department, as this continues to be a police matter.

The district will not be commenting on individual students.