NewsLocal NewsLake County

Actions

Mentor firefighters warn of bathroom exhaust fan fire hazard

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WEWS.png
Posted at 1:47 PM, Jun 28, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-28 13:47:05-04

MENTOR, Ohio — The Mentor Fire Department would like to remind the public that bathroom exhaust fans can cause fires and it’s important to keep them clean and free of debris.

Recently a home in Mentor went up in flames after a bathroom fire started from a clogged exhaust fan.

The homeowner used a fire extinguisher on the fan, but flames had already spread to the attic. Mentor firefighters were able to contain the fire and prevent the home from becoming a total loss. The homeowner and his family escaped unharmed.

Fire officials want you to keep the following in mind:

  • Check, clean or replace your bathroom exhaust fans.
  • Test and and/or replace your smoke detectors if they are over 10 years old.
  • Discuss with your family a home evacuation plan in the event of a fire.