Columbia Gas said on Thursday afternoon that it was shutting off the gas for about 2,500 residents in Elyria while crews work to review and restore the system.
As a precaution, the company is shutting off the gas for every customer in the affected areas of Eastern Heights Boulevard and Concord Avenue.
Residents in those areas are safe, the company said.
Crews will visit each affected customer to conduct a home safety inspection and relight appliances.
The company asked residents to take note of the following to ensure a service restoration:
- We need inside access to every affected home or business.
- An adult must be present to allow our employees to restore service.
- If you leave, please leave your contact information with your neighbor or on your door.
- Keep your porch light on.
- Our employees and contractors carry photo ID and will be happy to show it on request.
- If pipes are in danger of freezing, leave cold water dripping from faucets... Even a trickle helps prevent freezing.
Anyone with special needs or medical concerns is asked to contact Columbia Gas at 1-800-344-4077.
A timeline has not been announced of when gas will be fully restored, but the company said it is working to fix the issue as fast as possible.