SUMMIT COUNTY, Ohio — A jury found a Rittman woman guilty in connection with a 2012 murder.
Erica Stefanko, 37, was found guilty of the following charges:
- One Count of Aggravated Murder – a special felony
- One Count of Murder – a special felony
“Today, more than eight years after she was brutally murdered, justice has come for Ashley Biggs. Thank you to the jurors who, under these unusual and extreme circumstances, thoroughly reviewed the evidence and determined Erica Stefanko was responsible for Ashley’s death,” said Prosecutor Walsh. “Thank you as well to the New Franklin Police Department who continued to investigate this crime. My office will fight for justice, no matter how long it takes.”
On June 20, 2012, Stefanko lured Ashley Biggs to an empty parking lot of a closed business in New Franklin by ordering a pizza to the location.
Biggs delivered the pizza as Chad Cobb waited for her, according to court records.
Cobb tased Biggs, then beat and strangled her.
Stefanko, who was married to Cobb at the time, followed Cobb as he drove Biggs’ body to an empty field in Chippewa Township in Wayne County.
According to court records, Stefanko then took Cobb back home where he washed off evidence of the crime.
At the time, Cobb and Biggs had been going through a very contentious custody battle over their then 7-year-old daughter.
In February 2013, Cobb pleaded guilty to the following charges:
- One Count of Aggravated Murder – a felony of the 1st degree
- One Count of Kidnapping – a felony of the 1st degree
- One Count of Aggravated Robbery – a felony of the 1st degree
- One Count of Felonious Assault – a felony of the 2nd degree
- One Count of Retaliation – a felony of the 3rd degree
- One Count of Tampering with Evidence – a felony of the 3rd degree
- One Count of Gross Abuse of a Corpse – a felony of the 3rd degree
- One Count of Possessing Criminal Tools – a felony of the 5th degree
- Domestic Violence – a misdemeanor of the 1st degree
Cobb is currently serving a life sentence and is not eligible for parole.
Stefanko is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 11.