NewsOhio News

Actions

Gov. Mike DeWine, Lt. Gov. Jon Husted discuss CARES Act funding for Ohioans

Mike DeWine
Posted at 1:36 PM, Oct 23, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-23 20:22:01-04

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine held a news conference Friday to discuss CARES Act funding for the state.

You can watch it in the player below:

DeWine was joined by Lt. Gov. Jon Husted, Ohio Senate President Larry Obhof and Ohio House Speaker Bob Cupp.

During the news conference, officials announced the creation of the "Home Relief program to assist Ohioans who are facing evictions, foreclosures and water service shut-offs during the pandemic. Around $55 million for the program will come from the federal CARES Act, according to officials.

The state Controlling Board is expected to meet on Monday to approve the funding.

Officials also announced the "Small Business Relief" grant program during the news conference, a program that will provide $125 million in funding for small businesses with less than 25 employees to use for pandemic-related costs.

An additional $38 million in grant dollar will be directed to around 15,000 bars and restaurants in Ohio.

The Controlling Board is also expected to approve additional CARES relief funding for Ohio’s hospitals, non-profits, arts organizations and colleges and universities, including:

  • $25 million in grant dollars for non-profits to assist 501c3 charitable groups who are working every day to help those in need.
  • $100 million for Ohio’s colleges and universities to use for increased COVID-19 testing and prevention programs.
  • $62 million targeted to the state’s smaller hospitals that are providing critical care to Ohioans.
  • $20 million for performing arts groups to use for hardships related to COVID-19

“We are directing CARES relief dollars to Ohioans who need it most – those who are facing the loss of their home, the non-profits and hospitals on the front lines of treating those affected by the pandemic, and our small businesses that keep our economy moving,” said Finance Chairman Matt Dolan in a press release.

To learn more about the grants and funds, and to check eligibility, click here.

Earlier this week, DeWine announced that $1.3 billion in funding was approved by the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation as a second dividend to ease the impact of COVID-19. Around 200,000 private and public employers will receive checks.

DeWine said Ohioans can anticipate additional programs that will use CARES Act funding to create a wide-ranging program to address funding for rent, mortgages and utility bills.

RELATED: DeWine says $1.3 billion will be sent to Ohio employers this week