AKRON, Ohio — Several traffic changes are happening on I-76 eastbound/Kenmore Leg in Akron beginning on Jan. 28 while crews work to repair the East Avenue bridge, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.
In December 2018, a truck hauling a large bulldozer was heading towards the East Avenue Bridge when it slammed into the bridge because it didn't have enough clearance, causing it to flip over. After the crash, the East Avenue Bridge was closed for structural inspection.
From Monday, Jan. 28 at 8:00 p.m. until further notice:
- I-76 eastbound under East Avenue will be reduced to one lane.
- The ramp from I-76 eastbound to I-76 eastbound/Kenmore Leg will be closed. The detour will be from I-277 eastbound to I-77 northbound to I-76 westbound.
- The ramp from I-76 eastbound/ Kenmore Leg to I-76 eastbound will be closed. The detour will be I-277 eastbound to I-77 northbound.
From Tuesday, Jan. 29 to Wednesday, Jan. 30 the following closures will take place:
- Starting at 10 p.m., I-76 eastbound under the East Avenue bridge will be closed through the following until 6 a.m. while crews repair the bridge. The detour will be I-76 westbound/Kenmore Leg to I-277 eastbound to I-77 northbound.
From Monday, Feb. 4 - Friday, Feb. 8:
- Starting at 8 p.m. on Monday through Friday morning, I-76 westbound under East Avenue will have various nightly lane closures for bridge repairs. These changes will take place between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.