CLEVELAND — Tens of thousands of Northeast Ohio residents are still without power Thursday morning and several roads are closed due to downed trees and other damage caused by the severe thunderstorms that rolled through the area Wednesday, bringing damaging wind gusts and heavy rain.
According to FirstEnergy outage reports, here's how many people in each county are still without power in our area, as of 11 a.m. Thursday:
- Ashtabula - 1,704
- Cuyahoga - 44,926
- Geauga - 3,536
- Huron - 139
- Lake - 2,605
- Lorain - 3,187
- Medina - 117
- Portage - 469
- Richland - 574
- Stark - 678
- Summit - 966
- Trumbull - 189
- Wayne - 45
Cleveland Public Power said early Thursday morning that all their feeders have been repaired, and any scattered outages should be reported to them.
OUTAGE UPDATE: As of 1:54 am all feeders were repaired. We still have scattered outages, if your power is out DM your address. @CityofCleveland— ClevelandPublicPower (@clepublicpower) August 12, 2021
The News 5 traffic map is showing multiple major road closures across the area due to storm damage:
The following additional road and rail closures have been reported to News 5 as of Thursday morning:
- According to the Greater Cleveland RTA, Red Line rail service between Tower City and Airport stations has been replaced by 66R buses due to effects on the storm from the overhead lines on the West Side.
66R buses continue to replace the Red Line rail service between Tower City and Airport stations due to the effects of yesterday’s storm on the overhead lines on the West side.— Greater Cleveland RTA (@GCRTA) August 12, 2021
- Photojournalist Dave Hatala discovered the intersection of Riverview Road and Greenhaven Parkway was closed due to significant floodwater in the road.
- South Park Boulevard is closed between 17200-17250 due to high voltage wires. These two houses are just west of Attleboro Rd. Attleboro Rd is still open.
- Avalon Road between Van Aken and Fernway is closed due to a large tree across the Roadway.
- On Thursday morning, News 5 photojournalist David Kraska captured a large tree across Bruce Road. at Upland Road in Bay Village, blocking traffic.
We'll continue to update this list as we get more reports.
The following schools are reported to be closed Thursday due to no power:
- Cleveland College Prep School
- Lincoln West School of Global Studies
- Lincoln-West School of Science & Health
Other closures and impacts
Akron Municipal Court is closed Thursday due to elevator issues. With the exception of arraignment court, where hearings will continue virtually, all hearings and other matters scheduled for Thursday will be rescheduled.
Viewer Danielle Nemenz sent photos of a collapsed freestanding roof over gas pumps at the Circle K on Darrow Road in Twinsburg. Nemenz said the roof collapsed at about 11 a.m. Thursday morning. News 5 is reaching out to Twinsburg authorities for more details.
Wednesday's storm caused widespread damage in Lakewood, including on Spring Garden Avenue, where a large tree fell onto three homes, displacing the families living there.
See more impacts from yesterday's storm in our photo gallery here.
See our Wednesday weather blog for video and information on damage left by the severe storms.
We'll continue to update this story with more damage reports from Wednesday's storms as we get them.
Follow the News 5 Weather Team: