COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine’s order closing all K-12 schools in the state to students will be extended until at least May 1; state officials will reevaluate the order as that date closes in.
The original order closing Ohio’s schools due to the coronavirus pandemic was issued on Thursday, March 12, and was to be in effect for three weeks, with a retrurn date of April 6.
On Monday, Gov. DeWine announced that the order would be extended until at least May 1, a Friday.
"We will reevaluate as we get closer to that date," DeWine said.
The statewide order closing schools applies to all public, private and charter schools in Ohio, he said.
Education is expected to continue online.
During his press conference earlier this month, DeWine said that unless the child has another medical problem, the risk of death from COVID-19 is not very high, but kids are potential carriers.
"We know this will impact families," DeWine said at the time. "We understand the sacrifice this will entail, but this is the right thing to do."