Several local casinos will temporarily close Friday as Ohio deals with the coronavirus pandemic.
MGM Resorts International released the following statement:
“As of midnight tonight, MGM Northfield Park will suspend operations and temporarily close,” said MGM Chief Operating Officer and President Bill Hornbuckle. “We will do all we can to mitigate the impact on our employees and partners. We will monitor this rapidly changing situation and will keep everyone informed as decisions are made to reopen in the future.”
JACK Cleveland Casino and JACK Thistle Down Racino is doing the same.
“Based on directives from the State of Ohio, we will be temporarily suspending our operation at JACK Thistle Down Racino and JACK Cleveland Casino. We will be actively working to limit the impact on our team members, guests and partners and we will announce a reopening timeframe as soon as we have additional information. We look forward to welcoming everyone back to your favorite JACK property as soon as possible," said Chad Barnhill, Chief Operating Officer of JACK Entertainment.
Earlier in the day, the Ohio Casino Control Commission ordered the state’s casinos to comply with Governor Mike DeWine’s mass gathering order that limits the number of people who can be in a single room or space due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Currently, the order bans gatherings of 100 people or more.
JACK Cleveland Casino, JACK Cincinnati Casino, Hollywood Casino Columbus and Hollywood Casino Toledo have until midnight to comply with the directive.
The casinos were also ordered to submit their plans to maintain compliance.
“The Commission encourages all casino properties to continue to follow the advice of public health agencies regarding the health and safety of employees and patrons, the commission said in a news release. “The Commission continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation and may take additional actions if needed.”