NewsLocal NewsCleveland Metro

Actions

Cleveland Orchestra fires 2 musicians after investigation finds evidence of sexual misconduct

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WEWS.png
Posted at 3:54 PM, Oct 24, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-24 16:04:55-04

Two high-level Cleveland Orchestra members have been fired for sexual misconduct following an independent investigation into their alleged behavior.

Concertmaster William Preucil and principal trombonist Massimo La Rossa were previously suspended after allegations of sexual harassment arose against them.  

RELATED: Cleveland Orchestra concertmaster William Preucil suspended amid sexual assault allegations

Through the course of the investigation, independent investigators spoke to more than 70 people who worked with or had taken lessons with Preucil and La Rossa over the years, according to a news release from the Cleveland Orchestra.

Investigators determined Preucil and La Rossa "engaged in sexual misconduct and sexually harassing behavior with multiple female students and colleagues over a period of years while employed by the Orchestra," the release states.

Orchestra officials said the two men abused their positions of power to take advantage of their victims.

"Women who were victims were intimidated by Preucil and La Rosa and were afraid to take action after they were subjected to the unwelcome behavior," officials said.

RELATED: Second Cleveland Orchestra musician suspended amid sexual misconduct allegations

In the fallout of the investigation, the Cleveland Orchestra said it has taken extra steps to prevent similar situations from happening.

Specifically, the orchestra adopted a set of principals which "define the high standards of personal and professional integrity to which all members of the orchestra community are expected to adhere," as well as revising and adopting its anti-harassment policy. In addition, a hotline was established where persons associated with the orchestra can report violations anonymously.

“We want to thank the victims for having the courage to come forward, and we are truly sorry about the reprehensible behavior of the two members of The Cleveland Orchestra that caused them so much harm,” said André Gremillet, executive director of the orchestra.

Neither man has been criminally charged by authorities at this time.