CLEVELAND — Three people were sentenced to prison for the murder of a Cleveland beverage store owner and numerous other robberies committed throughout Cuyahoga County in a 24-day period in 2019.
Keyshawn Smith, 20, Andre McKelvey, 19, and Robert McKelvey Jr. 22, committed armed robberies of retail stores, gas stations and convenience stores in Cleveland, University Heights and Maple Heights.
On Feb. 9, 2019, police responded to a beverage store in Cleveland near Lakeview Road and Durant Avenue, where Mohamed Shahin, a 33-year-old Rocky River man, was shot in the head and transported to the hospital where he died.
Investigators determined Smith was the shooter. He pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and aggravated robbery. He was sentenced to life in prison, with eligibility for parole after serving 30 years.
Both McKelvey and McKelvey pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and aggravated robbery, and were sentenced to 21 years and 14 years in prison, respectively.
Cleveland police linked the trio to seven other armed robberies around Cuyahoga County:
- January 13, 2019 – Maple Heights dollar store (near Dunham Road / Wheeler Road)
- January 28, 2019 – Cleveland dollar store (near East 103rd Street / St. Clair Avenue)
- January 28, 2019 – Cleveland dollar store (near West 130th Street / Wilton Avenue)
- January 28, 2019 – University Heights cellphone store (near Warrensville Center Road / Lansdale Road)
- February 2, 2019 – University Heights gas station (near South Green Road / Cedar Road)
- February 2, 2019 – Cleveland gas station (near West 117th Street / Bellaire Road)
- February 2, 2019 – Cleveland gas station (near East 185th Street / Shawnee Avenue)
“Few crime sprees outmatch the havoc that this group inflicted upon our community, which sadly resulted in the death of Mr. Shahin,” said County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley. “I hope that the sentences imposed today bring some peace to his family.”