NewsLocal NewsStark County News


Stark Co. man arraigned for allegedly kidnapping, threatening to torture teen by pulling her teeth out with pliers

Samuel Dee Bowles arraignment.jpg
Posted at 5:17 PM, May 20, 2021
and last updated 2021-05-21 18:53:31-04

WAYNESBURG, Ohio — A 27-year-old man was arraigned Friday morning after authorities say he allegedly kidnapped a 17-year-old girl from her home last weekend, took her to an oil well site and assaulted her, threatened to pull her teeth out with pliers and then showed her an empty hole in the ground he said was her grave.

According to Canton Municipal Court records, the suspect, Samuel Dee Bowles, of Waynesburg, is charged with kidnapping, a first-degree felony; disrupting public services, a fourth-degree felony; assault, a first-degree misdemeanor; criminal damaging, a second-degree misdemeanor and theft from a person in a protected class, a fourth-degree felony.

At his arraignment, he was given a $1.7 million bond. He is currently being held in jail.

It happened on May 15 in Waynesburg. Prosecutors say Bowles and the victim know each other.

Court records state that Bowles went to the 17-year-old girl's home, forced her into his vehicle and then drove her to an unknown oil well site and attacked her. He then took her to his home, gathered a knife, scissors, hammer and other tools and took her to another unknown location and threatened to torture her by pulling her teeth out with pliers and shoot her with a shotgun.

Bowles allegedly showed her an empty hole in the ground he "described as her grave" and repeatedly struck and strangled the teen, which resulted in visible injuries. He's also accused of breaking the teen's phone to "stop police from learning she was being held captive," court records state.

Bowles then allegedly took the girl to another location in Canton after he got "spooked." Once there, he locked himself in a room with her.

Police were called after witnesses "got suspicious" and tried to help the teen after she whispered to another person that she needed help.

Bowles left the area but was later arrested after a warrant was filed.

The teen was reunited with her mother, who told News 5, "I'm just thankful and blessed that she's home and alive."

Canton City Prosecutor Jason Reese echoed that sentiment, but also pointed out he has never seen a case quite like this one.

"This is a very unusual case and thank God it had a positive outcome, and that this young lady is able to be reunited with her family. Normally, things don't turn out that way in situations like this, but thankfully this one did," Reese said.

Bowles' attorney stressed that the charges are just "allegations."

Bowles is due back in court on May 25.

Download the News 5 Cleveland app now for more stories from us, plus alerts on major news, the latest weather forecast, traffic information and much more. Download now on your Apple device here, and your Android device here.

You can also catch News 5 Cleveland on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, YouTube TV, DIRECTV NOW, Hulu Live and more. We're also on Amazon Alexa devices. Learn more about our streaming options here.