NewsDi'Yanni Griffin


State moves to revoke daycare license after baby death

Di'Yanni Griffi
Posted at 3:22 PM, Jul 11, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-11 18:14:29-04

CLEVELAND — A home daycare may lose its operating license after the death of a baby in its care.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services sent Nana's Home Daycare a certified letter recommending the revocation of its license.

On June 18th, two-month-old Di'Yanni Griffin died after spending the day at the home daycare on Giddings Road. The baby's mother, Taylor Bush, said her daughter was cold when she went to pick her up that afternoon. Bush said she texted the owner at 2:06 to say she was coming to pick the child up. Just 14 minutes later, Bush called 911 for help. The 911 operator coached Bush as she attempted to perform CPR on her daughter until the ambulance arrived. The baby was pronounced dead later that afternoon at University Hospitals. The cause of death has not yet been released, but the preliminary autopsy showed no signs of foul play.

Danielle Townsend, the owner of Nana's Home Daycare, was not home the afternoon when Griffin died. Her sister, Sharon, was caring for the children.

The Department of Job and Family Services laid out the following reasons why Nana's Home Daycare should have its license revoked:

- Sharon, the substitute child care staff member, did not have a profile in the State's system.
- Sharon, the substitute child care staff member, did not have current infant and child CPR training on file
- Five children did not have medical information on file
- Nana's Home Daycare failed to report the incident with Di'Yanni Griffin as mandated by the State
- The operator was caring for eight children at one time
- Infants were allowed to sleep in bouncy chairs or bassinets instead of cribs
- Staff member did not protect child in care from harm

Townsend now has 30 days to ask for a hearing if she wishes to fight the revocation.

“The state’s actions come too late to protect Di’Yanni," said Bush's lawyer, Eric Henry. "Our regulators have the responsibility to enforce the laws and protect the public. We continue our broad investigation in this case as we await additional information from the medical examiner’s office. “